How do I reserve or place holds on an item that is out on loan? What other items can I reserve?
An item with the status "DUE DD/MM/YY" is currently out on loan and you can request to reserve such an item.
Note certain items like RBR (Reserved books/Readings) cannot be reserved.
Placing a request ensures that when the item is returned or is ready for you, it will be held for you to pickup from the Loans Desk. You will receive a message in myLINC and an email notification that the item is ready for pickup.
Other items that can be requested & reserved include items with the status
- AT BINDING
- ON ORDER
- ON HOLDSHELF
Note that items that have other status e.g. AVAILABLE, USE IN LIBRARY, VIEW IN LIBRARY, IN PRO-NO Hold cannot be reserved.
The procedure to do so is very similar to requesting for closed stacks items.
You can request for items using either LINC or LINC+ systems.
To request for items via LINC, go to the item you want to request and
1. Click on the Request button at the top of the screen.
Click on SUBMIT.
3. Click on the copy that you want to request. If there are multiple copies, you may want to choose the one with the earliest due date or the one in the library you frequent. Click on Request selected item.
4. Make sure you see the message: Your request will be delivered to ... when it is available.
5. If there are other holds on an item e.g. DUE DD-MM-YY +1 HOLD when you request the item you join the queue for the item becoming the second requester. If you do not need the item requested, use myLINC or Login to myLINC to cancel your request.
6. You will receive an email notification informing you to collect the requested item at the appropriate location (usually loans desks of the appropriate library) when ready. You will have 5 days (or 7 days for external members) to collect the item, after which it will be returned to the shelf or go to the next person requesting the item (if there is more than one person requesting the item).