Answered By: Ming Guang Han Last Updated: Aug 01, 2016 Views: 11327
You can report your loss or theft to the Loans Desk or through a online form. Please note the following conditions:
1. On the date the report is made, patron will be given one month's time to search for the book . In the meantime, the book that is reported lost will be temporarily removed from the patron's account. The Library will also assist by searching the book shelves for the lost book.
2. If the lost book is already overdue on the date it was reported lost, the calculation for overdue fines will stop on the report date. From Loan rules : "Fines will be calculated, according to the prevailing fines rate, from the date due to the date when the Library material was reported lost or, if subsequently found, till the date the Library material is returned."
3. After the one month period is over and the book is still not found, the patron will be billed for the book. The patron is liable to pay for the current cost of the books (including binding costs, if applicable) as well as administrative and processing charges of $25.00 per book, or $50.00 per RBR book or out-of-print book, neither of which is refundable.
In addition to the bill, the patron also needs to pay overdue fines accruing to the book, i.e. fines from the due date to the date reported lost.
If you are reporting by telephone, please call 6516-2016, during library operating hours. You must subsequently come to the Library to sign a declaration form which contains the above conditions.
Please note the above is just a brief summary , for full details on fines and payment of lost books please read the library loan rules.
If you are an NUS staff or student, you may submit your report through the electronic form "Report a lost book" available under the E-Forms menu.
If you are already logged into the portal, the form should already be listed under My Services (or click on More) if you are eligible for service.
If not to access these forms,
- Go to the NUS Libraries Portal.
- Click on the appropriate "More Services For ..." link and select the correct user group
3. Under Loan Services, select Report a Lost Book.
4. You will be usually prompted to login to the library portal.
Please note that loss of a book through theft does not absolve you from payment for the loss.
Related Library Guides
Browse by Popular Topics
- Electronic resources
- Citation Manager
- Media Materials
- Citation Analysis
- Open access
- Closed Stacks
- Exam papers
- Research Data Management
- Document Delivery