Answered By: Poh Lay TAN Last Updated: Jun 11, 2015 Views: 1247
FindMore@NUSL covers everything in the traditional Library Catalogue (LINC/LINC+) such as print books, journal titles, microforms, videos etc. On top of that it excels at surfacing online material including but not limited to
- ebooks - subscribed as well as free via HathiTrust (view online only, no downloads)
- ejournal articles from databases (including open access sources such as PMC, BioMed Central)
- thesis & dissertations (including online NUS theses & dissertations from ScholarBank@NUS & ProQuest Dissertation and thesis)
- online newspaper articles (some but not complete coverage of local newspapers)
- conference proceedings
- online music recordings
- results from Abstracting & Indexing databases - ERIC, Web of Science , Scopus, MLA , Various Proquest A&I Databases including Sociological Abstracts, British Humanities Index, Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts, Worldwide Political Science Abstracts etc - All but ERIC requires user login first before searching for the results to be included
Currently the following is not found (or poorly covered) in FindMore@NUSL
- past year exam papers - not covered at all, use exam paper database
- law cases - not covered at all - use law databases such as LexisNexis Academic, LawNet & other law databases etc) but secondary legal literature from databases such as HeinOnline is covered.
- Straits Times (coverage from 2010 onwards only to present with 2-3 days lag time) & local newspapers - mostly not covered except for limited coverage of Business Times) , use newspaper databases such as Factiva and LexisNexis Academic)
- Market reports, industry reports, company information are slightly covered , try the following databases instead.
- For raw statistics not covered at all, use the following statistics databases
- Standards and patents - not covered currently, please follow procedure for finding standards and patents.
- Journal articles if they are available in print only - not covered
In short, the main difference is that FindMore@NUSL may include some or all of the items in the usual databases or journals you usually use.
FindMore@NUSL allow you to search within the full-text of books or journal articles (whenever possible) , or if not just citation details (title, author, abstract, author supplied keywords etc).
As of Jan 2014, FindMore@NUSL covers over 300 million records (excluding records contributed by Abstract and indexing databases), which compares to about 1.7 million records in LINC/LINC+
While this is a huge collection, and no other single search provides greater coverage of NUS Libraries' collections, FindMore@NUSL still does not contain 100% of the library's online collection as some journal articles etc might be excluded.
As of Dec 12, 2012 we have launched this new search but we are still constantly improving it as well as adding more material into it as time passes and enhancing it with new features monthly.
While we eventually aim to get as close as possible to complete coverage of every online article or items accessible by NUS users into FindMore@NUSL , this isn't possible as not all database and journal vendors allow loading of their titles into the system.
Related Library Guides
Browse by Popular Topics
- Electronic resources
- Citation Manager
- Media Materials
- Citation Analysis
- Open access
- Closed Stacks
- Research Data Management
- Exam papers
- Document Delivery